At a glance
- A universal, core PSHE curriculum and programme for the whole Primary School including statutory Relationships and Health Education
- A unique, spiral, progressive and effective fully planned scheme of work
- A wealth of resources including well-structured, progressive lesson plans with all teaching, learning and assessment resources included
- Covid-19 Recovery Package with 18 lesson plans and two assemblies.
- Based on mindfulness philosophy and practice, sound psychology and is evidence-based
50% of mental health problems are established by the age of 14 which is why early intervention matters and primary schools play such a vital role in providing high quality PSHE lessons.
But PSHE provision in schools varies enormously and there can be a scattergun approach to resourcing it which is why opting for a whole-school option is preferred.
A mentally healthy school is one that adopts a whole-school approach to mental health and wellbeing which is why over 5000 schools have already made their choice and plumbed for Jigsaw PSHE.
Jigsaw’s new Primary PSHE online portal is really something special and is devoted to promoting positive health and wellbeing through the development of a positive ethos and culture where everyone feels that they belong and respected. Jigsaw covers all areas of PSHE and R(S)HE for the primary phase.
This isn’t a one-size-fits all programme but helps children to know themselves and know others so they can flourish with a level of skill, knowledge and confidence to navigate the present and the future.
Jigsaw 3-11 is a stunning PSHE system and it is easy to see why it is the number one online PSHE provider. It provides a mindful approach to PSHE/HWB with strong emphasis on emotional literacy, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health thorough curriculum package with the Jigsaw R.E.S.T. (Resilience and Engagement Scale and Toolkit) boosting resilience at Primary.
The colourful Homepage is gloriously straightforward and gives you a choice of either Materials and Community.
In the Materials section you will find all the resources you need to deliver Jigsaw and this includes whole-school opportunities such as assemblies (with songs), end-of-Puzzle displays, assessment, certificates, music/songs and Weekly celebrations to reinforce the curriculum work and enhance the positive ethos of the whole school community.
There are Age-Group buttons take you to the teaching and learning materials needed for that year-group for the complete academic year. There are six Puzzles in each Jigsaw age designed to progress in sequence from the beginning of each academic year and these include Being Me in My World, Celebrating Difference (including anti-bullying), Dreams and Goals, Healthy Me, Relationships and Changing Me (including Sex Education).
Each puzzle has six superb lesson plans accompanied by all of the teaching and learning materials needed to deliver them and these link to teacher preparation notes, a puzzle map, summative assessment guidance and resources. Alongside the Portal and Lesson Plans, schools also physically get a Jigsaw Friend, Jigsaw Jerrie Cat, and a Jigsaw Chime for each year group.
In the Community section of the website you will find stacks of support with a profusion of additional resources, training modules, documents, and other opportunities. For example, there are articles, an expanded overview, audit tools, policy templates and information for parents and carers.
Also here you will find a Training Library which is a rich source of professional support containing staff training presentations and live events to boost your personal growth.
These resources have been created by a team with an overwhelming passion for the mental health of children and how children learn.
If you want to restyle and overhaul your school culture and help create a positive environment where children are better able to learn, then Jigsaw PSHE are a magnificent foundation. It drives excellent behaviour, helps children be resilient and to grow in self-confidence and nurtures self-reflection.
- Rich and varied resources for equipping children with the skills to lead happy and healthy lives as emotionally intelligent individuals
- Extremely user-friendly and highly accessible portal rammed with high quality materials and support
- Provides children with relevant learning experiences to help them navigate their world and to develop positive relationships with themselves and others
- Maximises children’s learning by promoting good mental health and wellbeing across the school
- Drives pupil engagement and helps put wellbeing values into action
- Mitigates the detrimental effects of the COVID-19 pandemic
You are looking for an inclusive, progressive, age-appropriate whole- school development tool that is comprehensive and completely original for building an impressive range of social and emotional skills and boosting the positive mental health of children.
Download sample Jigsaw materials from jigsawpshe.com. Its free Recovery Packages, written to support students to handle issues relating to Covid-19, can be found at jigsawpshe.com/recovery (primary) and jigsawpshe.com/recovery/11-16 (secondary).
A one-off payment (no annual subscription) includes the teaching programme, free updates and ongoing teachers’ support through the online Community Area.
This review was written for Teach Primary magazine.