What’s been happening in the world of education?
A few stories and points of interest this week include:
- Charity Now Teach handed investment to attract experienced professionals into the classroom.
- Read Life In Likes: The Children’s Commissioner Report Into Social Media Use Among 8-12 Year Olds. Anne Longfield says, children are unprepared for the social media ‘cliff edge’ as they start secondary school. The report shows many Year 7 children are finding social media hard to manage and becoming over-dependent on ‘likes’ and ‘comments’ for social validation. They also adapt their offline behaviour to fit an online image.
See the BBC report for more information and also this video from The Telegraph.
- Public Health England’s new Change4Life campaign encourages parents to ‘look for 100-calorie snacks, two a day max’ to cut children’s sugar intake.
- A teaching union has called for a maximum temperature to be set in Scottish schools.
- Reported in The Stage, experts warn that drama teaching in schools is ‘in crisis’.