How many ways can you get a needle out of a haystack?
This classic question is testing creative skills, including how we can solve difficult and even unusual challenges that might arise.
The point is to shed a different light on the problem to find a new solution.
Obviously you can rummage around for the needle manually but that might take some time.
Here are some possible answers:
- Drench the haystack in a colour to make the needle easier to see.
- Burn the haystack. The needle will remain in the ashes.
- Blow the haystack away. The needle will remain on the ground.
- Drop the haystack in water. The needle will sink to the bottom.
- Put the haystack on a vibrating platform and the needle would fall to the bottom.
- Use a powerful magnet to pull the needle out of the haystack.
- Allow cattle to eat the haystack and then extract the needle from a sick cow.
- Place an X-ray film under the haystack and emit X-rays above the stack. You’ll see the needle on the image.
What other ideas can you think of?
Now take a look at this video: